Dynamic Training UK Wear Red for the British Heart Foundation
Every February the British Heart Foundation celebrates “Heart month”. Dynamic Training UK took part in our very own Wear Red Day for the British Heart Foundation on the 18th of February. In honour of this day and to raise awareness we took part in several activities during the day that promoted heart health.
We started off our Wear Red Day with a breakfast stand for all staff to encourage healthy eating. Small changes in eating habits can make a big difference. A healthy diet can stop you gaining weight and reduce risk of diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attack. Researches lead by University of Cambridge have recently found that long- term damage to the heart after a heart attack, and to the brain after a stroke, is caused by a build-up of chemicals called succinate. Succinate occurs naturally in the body when sugar and fat are broken down to release energy. Replacing those sugary treats with strawberries and apples could prevent heart failure or stroke as the fruit chemicals called malonate esters significantly limit the build-up of succinate.
We also had red themed quizzes with during the day. Congratulations to the winners, Izzy and Alex who walked away with a skipping rope and swimming goggles! This was to inspire a more active lifestyle. Small changes like half an hour of swimming or even skipping can give you more energy, more confidence and will even leave you more relaxed. We hope our winners enjoyed their prizes.
Do you want to try our Red Quiz?
1. Which of the following is not a red wine? Shiraz, Chardonnay or Tempranillo?
2.There are over 4000 chemicals in tobacco smoke. Which of the following can be found in tobacco smoke?
D. All of the above
3. Soccer is the world's most popular football game. Which of these leading English football teams does NOT use red as their primary colour?
C. Manchester United
4. What does Moulin Rouge mean in English?
5. What two letters in the Google logo are red?
6. What is the title of the nineteenth century French literary classic by Stendhal?
A. The Red and the Black
B. The Red Herring
C. The Red King
D. The French Revolution-Red Terror
7. Which football team is nicknamed The Red Devils?
8. Which town in England holds a music festival every year in August?
9. I'm taking you to a five star restaurant where you will eat cordon bleu food and drink the finest wines. What sort of treatment are you receiving?
A. red carpet
B. red hat
C. red card
D. red light
10. What is the international organisation that provides assistance to victims of war or disasters ?
A. Red Army
B. Red Guard
C. Red Brigade
D. Red Cross
11. The smoking ban in England makes it illegal to smoke in all enclosed workplaces. When was the smoking ban introduced?
Our final activity of the day was an origami exercise. This exercise was to promote stress free healthy minds. Stress leads to bad habits that are detrimental to your heart health such as smoking, drinking excessively or eating unhealthy food. We took time out to do a relaxing exercise together!
Here is an origami exercise that you can try out on your break. All you need is some square paper!